Warrior build UK

Latest:
Front end on.
BB made up. Just needs assembling with bearings and crank.
Loong chain arrived from Ice trikes.
Making up the USS.

I've cut a section of tube off, did bother to measure, eyeballed as I didn't know if 1.75" was the tube length or the OAL with bearing cups, whatever!
Don't bother telling me now, I'm past it.
But I machined the weld off and faced the tube end up in a lathe. I noticed a piece of standard dia, 30mm (so could be 29.98mm) was a snug fit inside the tube.
So I used it as a mandrel, but it only went on so far, 8mm, brg cup sleeve depth.
Using the tailstock with a bung everything machined up nicely.
Tried fitting the brg cup it was a no go fit, thought it'll be out of round as that area was heavily welded (probably raleigh factory, Notts).
Made severely light cuts until I had a tight push fit.
The thing was really out of round (weld distortion) and had a EWR tube miss match, standard for ERW.
I do know quite a lot about tubes in manufacture, bread and butter to my old firm.
Just wonder how others manage to cope with situations like this.
I can see people with 10lb hammers pounding away to get the thing to fit.
Anyway everything ended up nicely for me and all I need do is clean the paint off and weld the tube.

More to follow.
Martin.
Hi Martin,
We all feel your pain and have (at one time or another) trodden this path. :)
Fun, isn't it?
I have twice now cheated with a 12mm Silver steel post inserted and welded into the boom and two 28x12x8mm bearings and an adjustable gooseneck. Clamps round the 28mm bearings and a top-cap with an M6 bolt and a SS washer on top to keep the dirt out has done the trick for me.

Me again,
Some of you may know, yes I'm building a Warrior, everything is going OK so far.
In the background I'm gearing up to do some BHPC events next year, so I'm do a lot of swatting up, watching videos, reading stuff, currently on 'So You Want To Build An HPV'.
Think that should be a 'A' and then question mark. (Me being silly again).

So measured my anatomy today (after doing some CAD tinkering).
I lay flat against the floor and drew around my outline. Later, checked out my foot, leg & hip joint positions.
Interesting my 5'8" seems to grow to 5'10" (about) because of the torso rotation, sitting up to skip a pencil around. But I corrected it. Better if someone does it for you.
I'm trying to determine the minimum cockpit area I will need.
Discovered my pedal reach is 33" with cycle shoes on, yet my inside trouser (pants in USA) is 29.1/2" (keep that a secret as to why!).
So, it's been applied to the soon to be streamliner chassis.
Ambitious, I know, but time is running out for such follies, but I should have enough in the tank.
This is why my Warrior build has been a little slow, I'm multitasking at the moment.
Not to mention kitting out a Windcheetah too.

The whole picture.

The machine. (copyrighted, of course so keep your mitts off, well until I've finished it). LoL

Martin.

Me again,
Some of you may know, yes I'm building a Warrior, everything is going OK so far.
In the background I'm gearing up to do some BHPC events next year, so I'm do a lot of swatting up, watching videos, reading stuff, currently on 'So You Want To Build An HPV'.
Think that should be a 'A' and then question mark. (Me being silly again).

So measured my anatomy today (after doing some CAD tinkering).
I lay flat against the floor and drew around my outline. Later, checked out my foot, leg & hip joint positions.
Interesting my 5'8" seems to grow to 5'10" (about) because of the torso rotation, sitting up to skip a pencil around. But I corrected it. Better if someone does it for you.
I'm trying to determine the minimum cockpit area I will need.
Discovered my pedal reach is 33" with cycle shoes on, yet my inside trouser (pants in USA) is 29.1/2" (keep that a secret as to why!).
So, it's been applied to the soon to be streamliner chassis.
Ambitious, I know, but time is running out for such follies, but I should have enough in the tank.
This is why my Warrior build has been a little slow, I'm multitasking at the moment.
Not to mention kitting out a Windcheetah too.

The whole picture.

The machine. (copyrighted, of course so keep your mitts off, well until I've finished it). LoL

Martin.
Super stuff! We are all agog. Your secret is safe with us...... honest it is 'guvnor. ;)

Me again,

The whole picture.

Martin.
So will you not have a collision between the pedal cranks and the front wheel in some positions ?
It is acceptable in extreme cases [ like a streamliner ] to have the foot hit the front wheel , however a pedal crank is a recipe for going down...

Paul

Paul you mean overlap.
Yes this is how Streamliners operate, they only need a few degrees of steering rotation.
This is why we need a practise circuit so we can find out if we can negotiate the turns.
I may be setting up a test bed at the Rainworth site and rig up one of my 'normal' bikes with limited steering to get accustomed to it.
I've always been intrigued with how little you need to turn handle bars to go around a bend, Appears to be none, just the lean.
I have saved a well padded motor bike jacket with very good protection pads in elbow, shoulder and back spline regions too.
Must have know I had a future use for it, spooky!
Oh, any circuits we feel will be difficult we could avoid, as the BHPC event league only scores 8 out of 12 events.
No need to do them all. If you want to be the top of something league wise.

Martin

Martin

I think it is the things that you don't think you need steering for that are more important ?
a) you need a lot of lock at low speed , you will go over if you need 20' of steering to get the bike under your combined CofG if you only have 10' available
b) getting it in and out of sheds and garages ? especially if it is in a fairing

Still it's a learning curve , however I don't think a upwrong 2 wheeler will give you much useful data ?
However Wednesday may change that ;)

Paul

So scenario, arrive at Darley Moor decant out of estate car.
Wheel up to track.
Wait for permission and race to start.
Jump on WMD.
On 'GO' go!
Race like man possessed with others.
Get to finish line, collapse with burst lungs.
Wheel WMD back to Estate car.
Scratch head as why a 67 year old fail to beat a young sprog.
Should be OK, steering wise.
Yes I'll probably fall over until the starts have been mastered,
(but I don't think so, spent a lot of time on 2 wheeled machines)
(Need to switch steering to lean method too for steering, not use handle bars only)

Martin.

Last edited:
Some of you will know I've been busy racing my Windcheeter. This entailed doing some mods to go faster and improve handling on the race tracks.
Therefore the Warrior has taken a backseat, progress wise, but is still there to finish at my leisure, possibly with improvements that I've learnt along the way as I've seen more recumbent racing machines on the tracks. I've even raced against a Warrior of all things, and boy is it fast.. doing over 20mph easily. The tyres are not even racing ones but heavily treaded MB ones, the guy pumps out some watts I guess.
Well I have just about achieved one of my goals of doing 25mph with a recumbent trike. Actually I was measured at 23.90mph, but I stopped pedalling half way through the speed traps as I had peaked too early on the run up! But I'm sure I can do it.
New bike:
Got a M5 low racer waiting to be raced too. These things hold the record as the fastest production recumbents setting quite a few records. Can't wait to see how I do on that.
M5 site

Other projects have not stopped and will shortly be resumed. I'm building a new trike that will incorporate all the new finds whilst racing the Windcheeter.
I may go faster as it will be lower but there is more than that. You will have to wait to see what's what....
The story continues.
Martin.

Last edited:
Ok, I actually printer 3 jigs, left hand and right hand versions. The biggest was printed on a Chiron which has a bed size of 450mm square, 2 others were done on a Anet 8, 220mmsq bed.
I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Do you have an email I could post to? Or is there another method to receive the stl files.

If they are not quite right for you, angle or size wise, let me know and I could adjust them.

Martin.
Martin! Just stumbled on to your thread about 3D printing jigs for the Warrior build. My email is ewew921@gmail.com. I have a Creality 3d printer with a 230 x 230 x240 bed size. If you could send those .stl's, that would be much appreciated! Earl White

... and now you know why I build deltas !!!................

Paul
Paul- I agree with you! The more I look at the tadpole madness the more things I think of that could make me wish I'd never seen one. About the only thing good I have to say is that they are "cute" in their own way. I think most people only think of tadpoles when they think of recumbent trikes- like thats the only possibility, And the market follows the herd- so for many years they have become the "norm".