Warrior racing trike changed design

It where a couple of bissy days with ordering and looking for cheap and good solutions for things I wanted. But I finally ordered most steel and lacer cut parts. I only need to order the mounting for the brakes, but I will do that as soon as I have the steering ready.
Everything cut, lacer cut and some parts lacer cut and welded.
I get the base frame as a sort of kit, that you only need to weld togheter.
Added a mount for the derailleur in the design.
The frame neer the front wheels will be welded, so the holes will be nice in line.
I only need to cut the mounting for the seat and shorten the front to fit my length.
The axles in front with everything on it will I do my self. Have them ready to cut and weld.
I go for a m16 bold with a 20mm tube over it for the wheels.

I have everything in 1,5 week and it's way cheaper than I expected. It's half the price from what I thought that it would be. This makes that I can order the last parts and have everything complete before I start building.
I also save 21% tax because I pay cash. I can do it by bank but I prefer no tax😁

My new home comes free this Monday and I am going to look to see what needs to be done. I need to put in a new kitchen and some other stuf. But I try to keep building my frame and combine it. I want my bike ready before June.
The weather here is already getting good to ride a bike, so I want to have it finished as soon as possible.
The new home comes a lot earlier than I expected.

Here is my instagram with some images of the design of the frame. No seat on it yet, but I know how I want it.

Instagram

I will try to make as many images and videos as I can. Normally I forget to film and have I made it and think after I am done that I needed to make photos.

I hear that!
I always regret not taking more photos and videos, but the quest to build often takes over.

Brad
I understand that.
I always prepare to take photos, but as soon as I start working, I forget it.
This time I will work in steps and take photos after each step.

I started welding, finally!
It's a month later than planned, but I made a start.
I noticed that I didn't weld for over 20 years, but I can clean it up.
Made one small mistake, but I will fix that today. Welded one part not under 90 degrees. It's a bit off, but I can fix that. Cut the part loose on one side and put it straight and weld it again.

Test fitted the wheel on the back and it fits great.
I hope to finish the the base frame this week. It depends on the weather.

After that I start with the front wheels and steering and making things tho mount the brakes on.

Only need to get a few things like the wheels that guise the chain. The other stuff can come later, because that will be screwed on.

I am happy that I got my self a tiny welding machine that can handle thin steel. As I used the heavy one, than noting would be left.

I post some images on my instagram.
Instagram

Added the next part to the frame.
I could weld the complete frame in a day, but I take my time.
Welding on the ground isn't that good for my back, so I do 1 or 2 parts a day as it is dry.
An other advantage is, is that I can take my time on each part.
Welding goes better but the 1,6mm welding sticks are way thinner than where I learned it with and they aren't that stiff, making that they move more than I am used to.
Next time I get the 2mm sticks.

Tomorrow I hope to do the the part for the front wheels. As that is ready, than I can weld it Sunday on the frame.

It feels good to build my own bike.
It goes till now, better than I expected. The build guide helped a lot, even with the changes I made to the frame.

Yes I Kwon.
I made the arm for the front wheels today.
It started to rain, so I stopped. I think as it is dry, that I weld it to the frame.
Need to get welding electrodes and a sanding disk. I will get that Monday.

I am thinking of making my seat so I can change the angle.

I got some needed tools today.
I also got some electrodes, so I can start welding again.
Worked on one side of one of the front wheels.
I ordered some ball joints so I can finish it. I hope to have it soon, but the ones I wanted are not in stock. So I hope to have them soon.
But I have enough to do, so I can still go on.

I tried to see where and how the seat will be mounted.
I am still nog sure what I do. So I will probably do that part as one off the last thing I do.

Rear disk break mounting is ready. Tried it and it works great. Disk doesn't hit the break as it spins and breaking works good.
Rear part of the frame is ready. Only have to close the side holes.

I am now looking for some parts for my chair.
I want it so you can change the seat angle.
Tomorrow I start with the front mounting of the seat.
The rear part will be part of the triangle. That part will be also a mounting part for my side bags.

Going to get some parts next week so I can keep building.
Want to mount the front wheels. This helps with the seat angle.

Tomorrow I am picking up some parts and order the last part I need.
That makes that I have all the parts before the end of next week and can finish the trike.
I only need something for the seat like foam, but I don't know what foam to use. I am thinking to use a double layer of the yoga mat I have.

After that I can paint and see what mirrors I will use.

Worked on the fron wheel mounts.
I hope to mount the front wheels tomorrow.
Than I have a rolling frame.
I got 2 mounts that are normally for a hanging door, but I use them to guide the chain. It has no bearings, but it comes with a mount that I weld to the frame. I will make it so I can replace it with other ones if needed.

Tomorrow I get the m16 bolts and nuts and I hope to get the last part this week. I ordered it and as soon as I have that, than I can finish my drive train.

For the seat I will get a tent pole that I will customize a bit. It can me put in different lengths and I will use it to put the seat under an angle.

Got a luggage rack that I will weld on the back.

Only things I need are mirrors and those wheel covers. I don't know the English name. But they come later.

With the coming heat, I will not do a lot and do more in the evening.
Temperatures up to 40 degrees c is high out here.

I can now put my front wheels under the frame.
I only need to clean it up and ad the arms and brake mounts.

I didn't do a lot today. It was way to hot.

To hot to work!

Mounted today the front wheels and went back inside. It was way to hot.
Just can't wait till I can ride this one.

I made some changes in my plans. I wanted to make the seat so you could change the angle. I came back on that after I tried several angles. I didn't like as it was to flat and around 40 to 45 I liked the most. So I decided to just go around that angle.
Also the seat goes a tiny bit more to the rear. This for a bit better traction, more space for the steering and it hoes a bit up. This will help with getting off the trike. 😁

Tomorrow I get one part and than I can work on the drive train.
But tomorrow it's again very hot and saterday rain. So I wait till Sunday or Monday before I go further with the build.

Planners are changed again.
I wanted direct steering but it will be indirect steering.

For the seat I go to a recumbent bike shop for something on the seat to make it soft to sit on.
I need to go to him also for the chain. It was a bit to short.

I have now the seat mounted.
This coming week I ad some bars to strengthen the frame and ad a a rack on the back. Shorten the front and close the holes and ad indirect steering.
After that I clean the welds and replace them where needed. Welding goes a lot better now. It's still not what it was, but it's way better than it was.
After that all I pickup the chain and mount it so I can paint it after that.

I rolled the frame and I liked it. I can't wait till the bike is ready so I can ride around.

Emiel

Ok found your pictures , couple of things you need to do ?

Close off the tubes at the end of the boom nearest the rear wheel , that will stop those tubes collapsing when resisting the side loads.

I cannot see how you are supporting the upper rear portion of the seat ?

However that support wants to also have 2 stays welded to it that go down about 2/3 of the way along the rear wheel chain stays otherwise they could rip off the short horizontal piece they are welded to ?

good luck with the build you are close now.

Paul

Emiel

Ok found your pictures , couple of things you need to do ?

Close off the tubes at the end of the boom nearest the rear wheel , that will stop those tubes collapsing when resisting the side loads.
HI Paul,
Yes I must close them still. I have the covers for it but I didn't weld them on yet.

Emiel
I cannot see how you are supporting the upper rear portion of the seat ?
The upper part of the seat has no suport. It's till those bolts. I tested it and it doesn't really need suport on the top part.
But it gets a bit suport because I connect that top part also to the luggage rack.

Emiel
However that support wants to also have 2 stays welded to it that go down about 2/3 of the way along the rear wheel chain stays otherwise they could rip off the short horizontal piece they are welded to ?
I didn't weld every suport on it yet.
There comes extra suport fron under the seat to the rear to make a triangle. This will make the frame stiffer and makes that it will not bend.

Emiel

good luck with the build you are close now.

Paul
Thank you. Yes I am close now and I can't wait to get it finished.
Comming week I start with the steering and adding the suport for the rear. I will also close all the holes and shorten the front a bit.
Than I will also mount the front disk brakes.

After that I start with the luggage carrier and on the front, phone, mirror and other mounts.
I will also make side bag mounts, but I think that I make those removable.

I need to wait for the chain, so I now focus on finishing it before the 20th. Than i only need to mount the chain and after that I can paint the frame.