What do you do with your first build?

My first build isn't that well build, the 2 crashes didn't make it better and now it is a bike with all 3 wheels arend standing straight. It has no suspension and the bmx tires make that it rolls fast.
But even with all that, I love that trike and I can't take it apart to use those parts for other builds.
So I decided that I will take it apart as my new ones is ready. I will put all wheels straight, redo some welds on my frame and make it straight again. Probably put underwear steering on it and get an other chain tube for it. Also will I let it be powder coated.
New tires on it and it won't get an e-assist.
It drove great with, but also without.
I love that ugly beaten up trike for some reason and can't do anything else then fix it and do some thing over to make it as it should have been the first time.

Am I the only one that can't say goodby to his first build, or will it come after more builds that I will use it for parts?

I took my first build (Warrior) apart and used a few of it's parts for my next build which happened to be a delta trike. It was fun and fairly fast but I don't get attached to "things". And more importantly there is only so much safe storage space available. By safe I mean out of sight locked up in a locked garage. I tried my hand at building a high racer, found it to not be for me and took it apart also. The wheels for it will eventually be fitted under a trailer. As I learn more about bikes and trikes plus getting older my needs change.

I have also limited space to store my bikes. I need to put one outside, but it is safe and I can cover it.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
It's probably rare that anyone would be 100% satisfied with their very first build,
& decide to keep it forever. I gave my first one to a friend for helping me out.
Recycling the parts
into a better project is also an option, as others have mentioned.

My first is long gone. It was truly horrible. 60% overweight (and that was just the trike) ;).
Awful direct knuckle steering, and the awful Street-Fox slide-off seat. LOL
Second was a bit better, third was fine. This one (frame made by John and finished off by me) is good enough to be my tourer for ever.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
My first (really ugly suck-it-and-see) fell apart within the first three days as I was having too much fun to remember that the front end was only tacked together.
The next build that I actually finished was the Warrior. After suffering the bumps on unsealed roads, its back end was replaced with a suspension MTB rear end. Since then, it has had a few accessory and drive changes, is still in use, and it is being used as a test-bed for my current eLecTricks build, elsewhere on Zombie, and it is now undergoing a lights makeover. Details in a few days when I finish it.

That depends whether the question is first build or first successful build ?

I probably gave away or sold [ only 1 ] about 6 builds before the Mk1 Python

That Python was and still is a success

Since I have build it I have been promising/trying to build something better with only limited success.

As most on here my storage space is limited and so 2 trikes max , current Python and the Mule ....

That depends whether the question is first build or first successful build ?

I probably gave away or sold [ only 1 ] about 6 builds before the Mk1 Python

That Python was and still is a success

Since I have build it I have been promising/trying to build something better with only limited success.

I have someone waiting to buy the Python , not got the heart to tell him the rear end was chopped up to make the mule :LOL:

As most on here my storage space is limited and so 2 trikes max , current Python and the Mule ....

Probably put underwear steering on it
I had fun trying to imagine how this would work.
My first build was a chopper bike. Love to ride but bad on hills and is too big for a car bike rack so i never ride it. Hard to get rid of it but if I make a better replacement or need the space it must go.
I heard an idea for letting go of things. You make a video or photos of you with your trike, then print a photo and hang it in the garage, then you can keep it there without keeping it.

My first (really ugly suck-it-and-see) fell apart within the first three days as I was having too much fun to remember that the front end was only tacked together.
The next build that I actually finished was the Warrior. After suffering the bumps on unsealed roads, its back end was replaced with a suspension MTB rear end. Since then, it has had a few accessory and drive changes, is still in use, and it is being used as a test-bed for my current eLecTricks build, elsewhere on Zombie, and it is now undergoing a lights makeover. Details in a few days when I finish it.
I had the same. My steering broke wile riding and I made a quick fix and both arms broke. Each in an other crash. I only fixed the one I broke first and after the second crash, I finally improved the other side.