What's Your Other Talent?

Thanks to Brad and Kate, and this website, we are drawn together by this hobby, of recumbents/bikes-n-trikes/and other likes.
But many among us, have other talents, that should be shared.

Six years ago, this month, I started a thread, 'My Other Talent'.
It highlighted AZ members, and their personal creative talents, other than bike building.

There were numerous contributors

Regulars like Sir Joey and his creative primacord knot tying, his drum playing days, and more.
Ticktock and his beautiful clock making, and Savarin with his telescopes, just to name a few.
We've seen train building, truck customizing, poems, and others.

Unfortunately, some of the photo's have been lost...but not all,
So check out the old thread, and see and read about the amazing talents some of your fellow AZ members possess.
The original thread can be viewed here. https://www.forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/7595-My-Other-Talent/page8

There was great interest by many, showing all the interesting talents/hobbies among our members.
I feel it is time to start a new chapter in the search for other talent,....What's Your Other Talent?

I'm starting this NEW ! thread off, with a re-posting of some of the art work I used to do.
Also, with a thought of the original contributors, re-posting to include, lost photo's.

My talent at the time was Pyrographic art. A fancy title for woodburning. I burned on just about anything.
Did many covered bridges, animal portraits, people too. Entered some of my work in various local shows, won a few awards.
Below are some of my work.

I created this business card by burning the edges, then printing on card stock.

My work on display at our annual fair. I had four pictures submitted.

Took 1st and 2nd with these two. Both were commissioned work, so I didn't get to keep them.

This mill picture took a 1st place in a date festival in Indio, Ca.

Mallards landing in a background scene, influenced by the wood grain of the board.

This is the last piece I was able to complete. My work involved very fine detailing, therefore requiring more youthful eyesight.
Often my work would require the use of a magnifying glass to see with.
Not because of bad eye sight, (back then) just the need to be very detailed.
I have done portraits, both human and animal. But this piece is by far, my most cherished piece. It measures 2' x 4'.

Its difficult to see, as presented here, but there are birds flying, and snakes and lizards crawling.

So, dig out those old pictures, and post them here, in the NEW! .... What's Your Other Talent?
Everyone is encouraged to showcase their present and/or past talents, creations, poems, or whatever, for the world to see.

Last edited:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Those are absolutely AMAZING, Ed! Some true masterpieces there, to be sure!
You definitely deserved the awards you won! Truly, STUNNING work! 10 on a 10 scale! (y)

I've dabbled with the odd car or two. Here's a Reliant Kitten (same as a Robin but with a full set of wheels) with a full tube chassis, twin turbo V8 (only a single turbo in the picture), a Sherpa van axle narrowed to 32" and classic big and little wheels. All my own work bar the wiring which was primarily done by my neighbour. It'd wheelie off the line and sounded like a jumbo jet with the turbos spooling up and no silencers.

I'm also a damned fine shot with an air rifle.

Hey! I've seen that yellow frame somewhere in the past.
Exactly how does one get in and, more importantly...out?

Through the door and over the door bar. I was younger and more agile then and it wasn't that hard. I reckon the engine only made 300hp even with the wind pumps being an old 215ci Buick design that Rover bought in the '50s but the car weighed about half a ton so a good power to weight ratio. I could light the rears up at will on the throttle alone. I once went through the 1/4 mile traps doing a mere 85mph at which point it suddenly hooked up and nearly killed me. A real brown trouser moment - it'd spun the full quarter and bit when I let the throttle off. I got a lot of amused looks in the pits with folk wondering how I got that engine in there.

For me it's always been building things not commonly available. From a double kayak to several jeeps and a small trailer i could take off road. I,ve included a picture of a 1947 jeep I restored, never did drive it though, the motor went and I had spent enough on it. Also a picture of a jeep cherokee, heavily modified pulling a small off road capable trailer I built in my garage. The trailer was fun, when the wife and I did go to "normal" campsites people would walk past all the glitzy factory campers then come ask about ours and if they could see the inside.

Well? Can we see inside?
Tell us more about the camper build.
Any camping stories about using it.

I took my (now not so glitzy) camper to a vintage trailer show a couple of years ago.
It was fun to see all the various types there from old company builds to DIY'ers.

They look like fun but would be a real chore (for me) to use. Too small and cramped.

The trailer was insulated because I used it in early winter. Dimensions 8' long a bit over 5' wide with an interior height of around 5'6". The tires were 31" and the jeep had 35"tires. Notice the 45 degree angle at the back, that allowed me to pull the trailer up and over or down a 3' drop, not a vertical drop of course but with a slight angle. The inside was lined with grey carpet, it had jalousie windows both sides. It had a seat for 2 that folded out to make a 6" bed for 2. I found an old metal cabinet that fit into the front corner and the trailer was wired with 110 and 12V and used an old car CD player for music. And yes I did bring a plastic step. That trailer gave me a nice place to sleep in some pretty remote spots. Mostly old logging and some jeep trails through northern Ontario leading to some very nice remote lakes. It was built very solid, 2x2 frame with 3/8 plywood inside and out all screwed together plus liberal use of waterproof glue. The frame was welded steel by me and comparing it a friends 28' foot 5th wheel trailer was way more solid. I tend to over build stuff.
heres the wife and I at a Blues festival in 2011, the trailer had a white makeover.

This was on the way in to Hillock Lake, a crystal clear lake in Ontario

Here it is set up at one the many great spots at Hillock Lake

And finally another great camp spot same lake, a 1/2 mile sand beach

Outstanding Hugh. Very well done, sir.
Those locations look to be so serene.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Just goes to show, AZ is not just all about bikes.

It's odd how perspective changes things. It doesn't look anywhere near as high with people next to it. My eyes were decieved.